Springtime means it’s time for some much-needed cleaning around the house. But in addition to decluttering and deep-cleaning your home, spring is also the perfect time to check for mold and moisture problems.
Read on for a quick checklist of places to visually check for mold and why professional testing for this irritating substance by a trusted environmental consulting service like Monterey County’s M3 Environmental is so important.
Is Hidden Mold Lurking Inside Your Home Or Office?
Mildew and mold thrive in damp, dark, or humid areas and areas with poor ventilation. With our often wet, chilly winters that turn into warm summer days, Monterey County is, unfortunately, a breeding ground for many different kinds of fungi, including indoor molds. Here are some of the most likely places you can find mold inside your home or business:
- In damp, dark basements or crawl spaces
- On leaky plumbing fixtures or pipes
- Near water heaters and furnaces
- In or around showers and tubs
- In humidifiers or air conditioners
- On wet laundry or towels
- In kitchens, near sinks or dishwashers
- On potted plants that are overwatered
- On carpets or upholstered furniture that has been exposed to water
- Inside walls that have been damaged by leaks or floods
- In attics or other areas where there is poor ventilation
The Importance Of Periodic Inspections
While most types are harmless, some, such as the dreaded black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum), can be dangerous to your health. Here are some of the most compelling reasons why you should regularly check your home or business for mold:
- Mold can cause respiratory problems such as coughing, sneezing, and asthma.
- It can irritate your skin if you come into direct contact with it.
- Mold can cause headaches, dizziness, and fatigue.
- It can weaken your immune system, leaving you more susceptible to colds and other illnesses.
- Mold can physically damage your home, causing structural issues and expensive repairs.
- It can be difficult to remove, and attempting to do so without professional help can make the problem worse.
The Longer You Wait, The Worse Your Mold Problem Can Get
Severe infestations can lead to structural damage to buildings. The longer the substance is allowed to feed on the organic materials found in your walls, the more expensive it will be to mitigate. Because of its potential effects on both human and structural health, if you suspect your home or other building has a mold problem, it’s essential to deal with it ASAP. A mold inspection can identify the type of fungi present, discover hidden areas of infestation you may have missed with a visual inspection, and also help you determine the best way to remove it.
Need Mold Testing In Monterey County? We Can Help!
Here at M3 Environmental, we have years of experience detecting mold and other environmental hazards in all kinds of settings. We’ll work quickly and efficiently to identify the severity of the situation and give you the information and referrals you need to remedy it. Contact us today for more details and to schedule your spring cleaning mold inspection.