M3 Environmental Consulting in Monterey, California, provides professional water testing to measure the risk of saltwater encroachment on your fresh drinking water sources. Salt pollution in the city’s fresh groundwater supplies can have devastating ramifications on human health, as well as do extensive structural damage to homes and businesses.
The encroachment of sodium chloride into our drinking water can also have significant impacts on local native plants and animals. Testing can help you prevent problems before they get out of hand.
How Does Saltwater Intrusion Occur?
There are two primary contributors to saltwater intrusion on homes and businesses in California. The first is a drastically increased sea level that overtakes the groundwater basins. The other is caused by massive groundwater extraction for the purpose of crop irrigation and delivering drinking water to homes and businesses. Drought can and does contribute to this dilemma.
When winter rains are not substantive enough to replenish the fresh water supply, a cone of depression is formed in the water supply. The outcome is seawater permeating the water table and causing salinization of the freshwater.
The result is one of the most overlooked sources of environmental pollution issues to affect the central coast.
Problems You Can Prevent
If ignored, saltwater intrusion can be detrimental. This environmental problem may cause widespread obstacles for people, animals, vegetation, and even buildings.
Health complications caused by hypernatremia, or too much salt in the blood, can include:
- Increased Blood Pressure, Hypertension & Prehypertension
- Increased Risk Of Stroke
- Gestational Complications Such As Pre-Eclampsia & Post-Partum Infant Morbidity
- Risk Of Heart Failure
- Increased Risk Of Stomach Cancer
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Excess Water Buildup In Body & Brain
- Calcium Deficiency
Damages increased salinity in fresh groundwater sources may cause to buildings and homes include:
- Corrosion Of Concrete, Metal & Wood Over Time
- Promotes Growth Of Mold & Mildew
- Pollutes Water For Gardening & Lawncare, Causing Leaf Burn
- Corrosion In Plumbing & Pipes
- Decreases Effectiveness Of Soaps & Detergent
- Damages Home Appliances & Causes Accelerated Wear-and-Tear
- Water-Heating Systems Become Less Energy Efficient Due To Scaling
- Can Cause Significant Health Complications For Wildlife & Companion Animals
- Damages Agricultural Crops & Heavily Reduces Yield
Environmental Consulting For Your Health & Safety
M3 Environmental Consulting in Monterey, California, has earned a reputation for efficient, friendly, and professional environmental consulting. We want to share our expertise to help you avoid the potentially dangerous damages associated with seawater intrusion into your homes and business water sources.
Our drinking water testing will help you uncover hidden issues and protect your home and businesses before it becomes problematic. Contact us today to schedule your water inspection or testing services.